Written by Meredith Bernstein
- EN 1465
EN 1465 is a tensile test used to measure the adhesive lap-shear bond strength of rigid-to-rigid assemblies. This standard is used by many industries to test adhesives applied to materials such as metals, plastics, wood, and composites. Lap-shear strength is a critical characteristic of any adhesive, as they can exhibit unique shear properties.
EN 1465 is extremely similar to ISO 4587 with the exception of test rate. Both standards use identical test setups, specimen geometries, and results reporting, with the exception that ISO 4587 calls out a specific test rate of 8.3MPa to 9.8MPa while EN 1465 only specifies a constant rate of load application. Both standards state that the average specimen should break in a period of 65+/-20 sec.Materials Testing System
EN1465 is performed on a universal testing machine with a system capacity dependent on the strength of the adhesive. Most tests to this standard will fall into the capacity range between 1 kN and 5 kN, making this application perfect for a single column test frame such as Instron's 34SC or 68SC. If the adhesive requires a higher capacity system, Instron’s dual column table model frames are available up to 50 kN.
EN 1465 Test Setup
1. Instron 34SC-05
2. Bluehill Universal Dashboard (2490-696)
3. 2530 Series Load Cell (2530-100N)
4. 500 N Screw Side-Action Grips (2710-112)
Both pneumatic side-action grips and advanced screw side-action grips are excellent gripping choices for this standard. Both types of grips are adjustable in order to offset the jaw faces and ensure that the lap joint remains centered, and both feature quick-change jaw faces that can be easily changed to accommodate different materials.
- When testing lap shear specimens, the lap joint causes the two ends of the specimen to be offset from the vertical load line of the test. In order to ensure that the specimen remains centered in the load string and yields a true shear force calculation, the grips must have offset jaw faces to ensure they are directly aligned with the plane of the adhesive bond.
- EN 1465 requires reporting the breaking force or strength, however, it is important to remember that shear strength is calculated by dividing the breaking force by the adhesive bond area.
- Users who purchase Instron's Bluehill Universal software are provided with one free application module upon purchase. Each module contains pre-configured test methods and supporting documentation to assist with testing to various standards, including EN 1465 which is part of the Adhesives module.
Bluehill Universal 软件从头开始构建，旨在提供触摸互动和直观的用户体验。使用诸如预装测试方法、几秒钟内快速测试、增强的数据导出以及 Instron Connect（一种全新功能，可提供与服务的直接通信联系）等功能，发现更简单、更智能的测试。 Bluehill 2 和 Bluehill 3 等以前版本软件的用户可以轻松升级到最新版本的 Bluehill。